Tuesday, February 3, 2009

6 more weeks of winter?

I don't turn the news on anymore.

There was a time for me that it qualified as entertainment, but these days its a major source of exogenous stress. I've got my own worries to deal with - do I really need to plug into the chaos that is Corporate America these days? Yesterday I made an exception given the occasion and came across this:

The world's most famous ground-hog saw his shadow yesterday, predicting that winter will last for six more weeks.



Big surprise.

Seasonal variations aside, look at what actually happened. This furry little creature was rewarded for his mid-winter bravery by a dose of clear biting air, declared it a loss and scurried back into his lair. Not exactly an inspiring story for tough times.

Of course, many of us might feel the same way. We took chances. Circumstances turned against us. Is it time to crawl back into the hole? For those recently released from Microsoft, this is precisely the question they have before them.

Most crawl towards safety. Some towards the comforting bosom of salaried employment, though most know its safety is an illusion. Others check out (I'm guilty), spending the time on ourselves we believe we've earned over the years, hoping the storm will blow over.

Yet there are a few among us who are welcoming mid-winter's chill, staring down their shadow, knowing that spring will come.

Perhaps they'll be here: http://startpad.org/events/startup-brainstorming-session

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This furry little creature was rewarded for his mid-winter bravery by a dose of clear biting air, declared it a loss and scurried back into his lair. Not exactly an inspiring story for tough times.

A fitting analogy for our time at Microsoft -- being rewarded for many years of exceeded or achieved service to the company and its customers with a pink slip.

I don't have it in me to go the entrepreneur route. This is not a good time for me to take risks. The economy is shaky. My kids are young.

Reading Mini's blog just makes me angrier. So many still-employed idiots seem to think that working hard will "save" them. I worked hard. I saved the company time and money. I was liked and respected.

Now, I'm unemployed. When does the shock and anger wear off?

Anonymous said...

When does the shock and anger wear off?

In my experience....about 6 months after you've found your next fulltime job.

Anonymous said...

You can choose not to be angry. It's not good for you or your family. What would you choose instead? How about determination, hope, or an attitude that it was just a job? Really, what were you expecting? That you could never be laid off? I promise you will look back in a few or 10 years and know for sure that this was a good experience for what it taught you.